Food and Nutrition
Peace and Nonviolence
Trees and Forests
Books on Ecological Economics
- The Ecology of Commerce: A Declaration of Sustainability by
- Outlines the environmentally destructive aspects of many current business practices,
but offers the vision of businesses adopting new practices to promote environmental restoration.
- For the Common Good: Redirecting the Economy Toward
Community, the Environment, and a Sustainable Future by Herman E. Daly and
John B. Cobb, Jr.
- Outlines a new, sustainable economics based upon community.
- Home Economics by Wendell Berry
- A clearly reasoned, strongly worded indictment of our present economic system and the
foolish squandering of resources that it fosters.
- Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered by
E. F. Schumacher
- Asks us to look behind the basic assumptions of modern economics.
- Systems of Survival by Jane Jacobs
- Addresses the moral values that underpin public life.
- Living within Limits by Garrett Hardin
- Renowned biologist, ecological philosopher, and student of human population control,
Garrett Hardin offers the finest summation of his work to date.
- Beyond the Limits by Donnella Meadows, Dennis
Meadows and Jorgen Randers
- Applies computer modeling techniques to population and economic growth scenarios and
concludes that the global industrial system has already overshot some of the earth's vital
- Filters Against Folly by Garrett Hardin
- Offers more clear thinking by Garrett Hardin about difficult environmental issues.
- Managing the Commons edited by Garrett Hardin
and John Baden
- Explores the implications of Garrett Hardin's classic essay, "The Tragedy of the Commons"
- Whose Common Future? Reclaiming the Commons by
The Ecologist Magazine
- Asserts that governments and big business erode commons and destroy the cultures commons
- Green Production by Enrique Leff
- Addresses the relationship of production to development and the environment.
- Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution
- Hawken, Paul, Back Bay Books, 2000
- Going Local: Creating Self-Reliant Communities in a Global Age
- Shuman, Michael H., Routledge, 2000
- Short Circuit: Strengthening Local Economies for Security in an Unstable World
- Douthwaite, Richard, Green Books, 1998
- The Divine Right of Capital: Dethroning the Corporate
- Kelly, Marjorie, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2001
- When Corporations Rule the World
- Korten, David C., Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2001